Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ubuntu on the WeTab


Update Feb 26 2011 please refer to http://wetabz.blogspot.com/2011/02/wetab-ubuntu-installation.html or full details on installing and running Ubuntu on WeTab with touchscreen enabled.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having been an Ubuntu user for a while now, it's only natural that I would want to try to bootup my WeTab with Ubuntu. Though I haven't been very successful yet, I think I am getting closer, all thanks to Joker who posted the windows 7 dual boot article on Tablet Faq.

I managed to get plop running, the binary can be got from http://www.plop.at/en/home.html, just unzip it and copy the plpbt.img file to /boot/extlinux/ and add an entry to extlinux.conf like the following:

label plop
menu label ^plpbt
KERNEL memdisk
INITRD plpbt.img

I installed then Ubuntu to a USB flash stick and used plop to boot it. Ubuntu then started up and it was able to detect the wireless card, screen and any usb devices I attached. The multitouch screen does not appear to be recognized although pressing on it causes a mouse click to register with Ubuntu...exciting stuff.

See post Multitouch on WeTab for further info.

No comments:

Post a Comment